Saturday, June 27, 2009

Away messages

Edwin Moses - I'll Be Around

I am heading overseas for a while - Kevin is already - and I intend to be focusing on travel writing and less on the day to day of the music world (or whatever it is we write about here).

I would say something about Micheal Jackson...but so much has already been written. I can restrain myself to saying that MJ's music is probably the last truly shared experience the world will ever have; but that it meant so many different things to so many different people. I can't wait for someone to get their fingers dirty and start playing with those meanings.

How long do you think it will be until a hot new band is named "Thriller", or "MJ", or "Blanket"?

It already happens all the time for more minor celebrities. Though I'm vaguely aware that Edwin Moses is some kind of world class athlete, I don't hear crowds and Olympic spirit when I flip on this song. All I hear is those strings breathing in, and out.

(TIME magazine has the best possible tribute to MJ, a lesson on how to moonwalk.)

No comments:

Post a Comment